As we quickly approach the day of turkey, dressing, desserts and companionship, I’m reminded by the constant media barrage that Thanksgiving has become synonymous with sales, marketing, and blatant commercialism.
When you think of Thanksgiving, what comes to your mind? Are you thankful for all of the blessings that have been bestowed upon you? Or do you picture the black Friday sales, the eating, the partying, and the football?
I know many have had a difficult year, and might struggle with understanding “why” or “what” they should be thankful for. I’m going to list 10 things that many of us might take for granted… however, they are certainly worthy of thankfulness.
10. Health – even if you aren’t in the best of shape, it could be worse… The fact that you aren’t six feet under the ground should be thanks enough.
9. Friends – It’s the quality of the friendships that matter… not the quantity.
8. Learning from past “mistakes” – I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… There is NO such thing as a mistake… only an opportunity to learn.
7. Having a home – whether its a mansion, an apartment, an RV, or even a box, having a place to call home is something to be thankful for.
6. Laughter – it truly is the best medicine. Without it, the world would suck far, far more.
5. Time – although we usually don’t seem to have enough of it, time is absolutely something that we should be thankful for… and never take for granted.
4. Cell phones – No explanation necessary.
3. Love – Without love, the world would certainly be a different place.
2. Diversity – Think how boring the world would be without diversity. I’m extremely thankful for my diverse set of friends.
And last…but not least…
Numero uno – The Internet! It’s hard to believe that only a few decades ago none of us had it! Now, we rely on it for communication, banking, shopping, and entertainment.