Are you a spiritual person? No, not a religious person… a SPIRITUAL person? Oh, sure, one could argue that all religious people are spiritual… however, that would not entirely be accurate.
According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of spiritual is: “sensitivity or attachment to religious values.” But is spirituality wholly connected to religion? Can one be spiritual without religion? Absolutely!
Spirituality is an incredibly broad concept and has room for many, many perspectives and ideas. In fact, there are MANY fundamental differences between religion and spirituality, but let’s focus on four big ones:
- There are NO rules to spirituality. What feels right to YOU…. YOUR intuition… drives and pushes you towards inner happiness. Spirituality focuses on doing what feels right for yourself and others around you.
- Religion is deeply rooted in fear while spirituality is based on love. Throughout the bible there are stories that drive home the fear of consequences for your actions. The fear of being committed to hell should you fail to live life per the Bible’s prescribed sets of rules is a significantly impactful one that uses incredibly powerful imagery (think fire and brimstone) to persuade individuals to live life by the book.
- Spirituality unites, while religion separates. Throughout world history various religions have taught that their story is the “right” one. This is in sharp contrast to spirituality which espouses that the truth is deeply rooted more in the QUALITY of the divine message that they share, rather than on the specific details of the stories.
- Religion focuses on punishment for sin while spirituality believes in Karma. Rather than focus on punishment and the threat of hell, spirituality simply believes that “you get what you give.”
If you have ever felt a sense of connection to something bigger than yourself… something that you can’t quite put your finger on, but, instinctively KNOW that there is something greater than human experience… then congratulations! You have experienced conscious spirituality!
Still not sure? Ok, let’s dive a bit deeper and look at six tell-tale signs that you might be more spiritual than you realize.
- Have you ever found yourself gazing upwards towards the stars? Do you have a seemingly peculiar fascination with the heavens? The cosmos is truly a reflection of the light within and I believe (at least at the subconscious level) that you are connecting with a truth deep within when you engage in this reflective behavior. That feeling you get while contemplating the universe is calming and serves to quiet and soothe our often-exaggerated egos.
- Are you a natural do-gooder? Is the centuries old axiom of “Do unto others as you would have done unto you” an accurate representation of your life? If so, then you likely recognize that The Law of Abundance (aka the Golden Rule) is the same as the universal message of Karma. Bingo – that’s spirituality!
- Your intuition is your superpower. Whatever you wish to label it – whether gut feeling, psychic ability, or intuition, you understand that following your guided intuition generally leads to a successful resolution. If you have ever experienced this… then congratulations! Yep, another sign that you are truly spiritual!
- Save the drama for your momma? If you are anything like me, you HATE drama… and strive to detach from any…. and all sources. Whether gossip, stress, worry, or strife – it’s energetically draining to you and you likely feel tired, weary, or exhausted after being around people that seem to thrive on drama and misery. In the “Celestine Prophecy”, it is mentioned that 2,000 years ago the Mayans foretold that humans of this age would wake up to the fact that they are energetic beings, and engaging in lower energy forms of vibration is literally sucking the energy out of others.
- Do you feel most relaxed and serene outdoors? If you feel drawn to explore and experience nature – the ocean, prairies, woodlands, or mountains, then you likely recognize that many, many lessons can be divined by becoming one with the earth. We are nature and being naturally drawn towards it is a sure sign of spirituality.
- Are you apt to forgive? If you recognize and understand that the power of forgiveness has a much deeper purpose than simply the act itself, then you are engaging in a long-standing spiritual belief. Forgiveness raises the forgiver about the forgiven. Without forgiveness, we remain tethered to the person who harmed us. Until we can learn to forgive those who harmed us, that person will forever hold the keys to our happiness. When we forgive, we take back that control of our own fate and feelings.
So… are you spiritual? My bet would be YES! And… if you read my books, follow my journeys, or have an interest in anything outside of accepted societal norms, then absolutely!
Please don’t think that the takeaway message here is that religion is somehow bad. It’s not. It absolutely serves it’s intended purpose. In fact, it would be foolish to deny the parallels between devoutly religious individuals… and “hardcore” spiritualists. My point of this article was simply to provide an introspective view into your own beliefs. There is no “right” or “wrong” here – like life itself, it’s all relative and subjective. Focus on what what resonates with you.
Spirituality serves as a reminder to all of us that we are not separate… there are no borders, no cultural divides, no races, and differences. Rather than wax poetic regarding ancient stories of angels and Gods, spirituality encourages you to create your own stories, and forge your own path. The journey of enlightenment and self-discovery is only limited by your own beliefs. Trust your intuition and follow it wherever it may take you.
“Spirituality is meant to take us beyond our tribal identity into a domain of awareness that is more universal.” – Deepak Chopra